School WiFi, Email and Google Classroom
Our WiFi network service is available in all areas of the school. It provides filtered access to the internet (the same as on student PCs in classrooms). You are not allowed to use websites, tools or apps on your device that bypass the school filtering. You can connect to our WiFi by selecting the network name TheBlueSchoolWells on your Smartphone or other handheld device.
Enter your usual school network username and password when prompted. You may need to apply a security certificate on your device to allow it to access the internet over the school network. Please use this link for information about how to do this http://www.rm.com/products/online-safety-tools/rm-safetynet/ssl-interception
NOTE - Providing the security certificate has been installed as above, then Windows 10 based equipment, Macs, iPads and iPhones are expected to work fine.
Unfortunately Android based devices may work in some respects but will experience problems due to changes made by Google to the Android OS (Google have removed support for SSL Interception on Android and on the latest version of Chrome for Android).
School rules and our Acceptable Use Policy still apply when using the WiFi network which you can review here.
- If your school network password has expired WiFi your device will not connect until you have changed it. You can only do this by using a school computer. Also, when your school network account password changes (or you have your network username changed) you will need to change the WiFi settings on your device to match.
Google Apps, including Google Classroom
You are provided with your own, personal school GoogleApps account. It is for you to use whilst you remain a pupil at The Blue.
It provides you with a GMail email account as well as a 'Cloud Storage' area known as G Drive and also access to some other online applications such as Google Classroom.
To use your GoogleApps, login to Google using your Google username and password
- Username is typically in the format email@example.com
- Your Google password is the same as your school network password since they are now synchronised.
NOTE - Our Gmail system is a closed system which means you can use it to email each other and to email staff when appropriate. Otherwise you will only be able to exchange emails with other pre-approved external email accounts which are outside the school environment. Email traffic may be monitored for your safety and moderated for use of inappropriate language and topics.
If you need to contact a member of school staff via email, then you need to check with the member of staff first and then only use their main school email address which is in the @educ.somerset.gov.uk domain.
Notes about Google Search
Students using their own Android device, connected to the school WiFi will need to install a security certificate to be able to access Google Search, using this link.
Apple iOS devices currently allow you to continue after a warning (except when using the Chrome browser, which does not work currently).
Behaviour of Blackberry devices is unknown.
- Safeguarding and SHARP
- Y6 to Y7 Transition Sep 2020
- Google Classroom
- Extra Curricular Sport
- Musical Instrument Tuition
- Exams and Revision
- Blue School Council (BSC) / Learn to Lead
- Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme
- Ten Tors Challenge
- World Challenge Expedition
- Y9 KS4 Option Choices September 2020
- Literacy Across the Curriculum
- Careers - Beyond The Blue
- Work Experience
- Health and Safety
- School WiFi, Email and Google Classroom