As a state maintained, non-fee paying, Church of England School, we have a fully inclusive admissions policy. Students attending The Blue come from the City of Wells and surrounding communities across a wide area of Somerset, including the Levels and Mendip Hills.
If you have an enquiry regarding admissions, please contact Mrs Jo Stitch, Headteacher's PA, at the school on 01749 836251. Mrs Stitch will be able to advise on the admission process and, if desired, arrange a tour of the school with a member of the Leadership Team.
Years 7 to 11
Our admission number in each year from 7 to 11 is currently 270. From September 2019 our admission numbers will be as follows:
Year 7 - 270
Year 8 - 240
Year 9 - 270
Year 10 - 270
Year 11 - 270
The fully inclusive admissions policy of The Blue School is set out in our Funding Agreement with the DfE. The school will be required to admit a child with a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) if the statement names the school before the following criteria are applied:
- Looked After Children - children in the care of the Local Authority, or have been previously and are now formally adopted.
- Children with physical impairments whose needs would be met by adaptations completed at the school.
- Children living in the catchment area, with an older sibling at the school at the time of admission, and who live at the same address.
- Children living in the catchment area.
- Children living outside the catchment area, with an older sibling at the school at the time of admission, and who live at the same address.
- Children who themselves, or whose parent(s)/carer(s) are practising members of the founding religious body of the school (Anglican, Methodist).
- Children who themselves, or whose parent(s)/carer(s) are practising members of other churches or religious denominations.
- Children of permanent staff employed at the school for 2 years prior to application.
- Children outside the catchment area, but nearest the school by straight line measurement.
Prospective students and/or their parents/carers do not have to be regular attendees of the Church of England to attend The Blue School. Similarly, no fees are required to attend The Blue School, although as with many state maintained schools, parents/carers can be asked to make voluntary contributions towards the cost of their child's participation in extra curricular or other non-core activities.
Although independent of local authority control, The Blue School continues to follow the admissions protocols agreed with Somerset County Council. Details of the countywide procedures for Year 7 admissions can be found by clicking here. In the autumn term, prior to the 31st October deadline, the school holds an Open Evening for prospective parents/carers to view the school and speak to staff.
The deadline for admissions for entry in September 2020 is 31st October 2019. Please use the Somerset County Council link above to make an application.
Parents/carers of prospective students who wish to be considered for admission to The Blue during the school year in any year group should contact Mrs Stitch at the school in the first instance. If there are spaces in the appropriate year group, Mrs Stitch will arrange a tour and meeting with a member of the school's Leadership Team. The Blue School administers its own in year admissions.
We would encourage all parents/carers to discuss any issues or concerns they have with their child's current secondary school, before considering a transfer to The Blue School. This is particularly important at Key Stage 4, years 10 and 11, where GCSE option choices/syllabuses may not be able to continue as in the previous secondary school.
Application forms can be downloaded either as a pdf or word document and returned as signed paper copies to Mrs Stitch or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not limit applications to our Sixth Form, either from year 11 students who decide to continue their studies with us or from external applicants. We have experienced a substantial increase in interest from external applicants in recent years and have found that, with a very few exceptions, external applicants settle into our sixth form well, quickly making new friends and getting to know teaching staff.
All prospective students (and their parents/carers) interested in joining the Sixth Form are invited to meet with a member of the school's Leadership Team. This meeting is focused on discussing option choices, making sure that the best decision is taken reflecting an individual's strengths and career/life aspirations.
For more details about joining our Sixth Form please click here.
No fees are required to attend The Blue School's Sixth Form, although as with many state maintained school sixth forms, students can be asked to make voluntary contributions towards the cost of their participation in extra curricular or other non core activities.
2020/21 and 2021/22 admission policies
- General Information
- Jobs at the Blue
- Useful Links
- Contact Us
- Find Us
- Careers - Beyond The Blue
- West Somerset Research School